How to fit & use your nappy
Understanding the elements of the nappy
- Shell refers to the waterproof external nappy (the pretty part haha).
Rise snaps and snap lines 1-5: Adjust the size of the legs and the length.
- NEW 2021 RANGE- There is a 6th line of snaps this will provide you with an option for even smaller sizing.
Wings & wing snaps: Adjust the waist of the nappy.
- Pocket: Pocket for the insert.
Inside of the shell
- Double gussets: Internal seams for extra leak protection. This is 2019 pattern cloth nappies.
- NEW 2021 range External Double gusset: Extra leak protection. The double gussets are great for night time use in particular.
- Inserts are the absorbent part of the nappy.
- 1 Bamboo insert has 4 layers.
- 1 Hemp insert has 4 layers.
- The 4 layer bamboo or hemp inserts can be used interchangeably depending on preference.
- Out of stock Hemp insert has 3 layers.
- For information on layering inserts see below.
LinersLiners are a biodegradable bamboo fabric used for:
- Stain reduction.
- Protection from poop explosions.
- Extra absorbency.
- Catching solid poop.
- Reducing the need to change the nappy.
- See how to use the liners below.
Sizing your nappy
Alice&Patrick nappies include handy snaps which allow the nappies to grow with bub and are generously sized to ensure a longer lasting fit. There is no standard or age determined sizing as every bub is so different. Consequently, sizing the nappy will require trial and error and will change as bub grows.
New 2021 range
Adjust the size the legs size and length
Add inserts for absorbency
How many layers you need will depend on bub, particularly whether they are a light/ heavy wetter and how long they go between changes.
Some general recommendations to get you started.
- Newborn's: 1x 4 layer hemp or bamboo insert for day or night. Placed between bub and the nappy shell (not inside the pocket) because newborn's need almost constant changing and this will reduce the need to wash the shell.
- Daytime: 1x 4 layer insert or 2x 4 layer insert for heavy wetters.
- Night time: 2x Bamboo inserts.
How to use the inserts
- Slide inserts into the pocket and/ or lay between the nappy shell and bub.
- Add/remove layers for absorbency as required. Make sure that the inserts are flat and have not bunched up.
Place the liner
The liner is used for stain protection and can reduce the need to change the shell.
- Rip off one liner from the roll
- Fold it into thirds, lengthways
- Place the liner sits on the inside of the shell between the shell and bub.
- When bub is on solids, solid poop will sit on the liner and can be disposed of. If the nappy is otherwise clean, you do not need to change it yet, just replace the liner.
Alice&Patrick sell 100% biodegradable liners that degrade in sewage in 10-16 days however it is acknowledged that there is no specific advice available regarding whether liners can/ should be flushed.
Adjust the waist
- Use the wing snaps to fit the nappy to bubs waist.
- The top of the nappy should sit just below bubs belly button.
- If you have reduced the size of the nappy using the rise snaps, use your fingers to push any excess material up under the wings.
Check the fit
- Run your index fingers around the legs to ensure that there are no gaps without being too tight.
- Do the same with the waistline making sure that you can comfortably fit your fingers between the nappy and bubs tummy.
- Bub should be able to sit up comfortably in the nappy.
Need further advice?
Contact us on Instagram to chat about fitting the nappy. Alternatively, there is amazing advice available via Facebook groups. (Search for: Cloth Nappy Reviews And Advice and MCN Tips And Tricks).